Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Work Experience

A Week at Endemol





























Day 5 Schedule

Friday 6th March

09.00 – 13.15

Report to Phil Noall, Art Director assist with boxes/props/tasks (art dept/running)
Lunch

14.00 – 16.00

Report to Stacy, Gallery/Office Runner and assist with tasks

Report to Annalise for 1:1 feedback and completed forms.

Ahh, the art department! How my son would love this place!
Apart form resetting the boxes under the scrutiny of the shows lawyer to keep everything fair and legal, these's guys have more fun than anyone else in the production. They make sets, and build castles and dragons and Christmas trees and whatever else they need for whichever themed show is due next. When I was there they were busy making props for the seaside themed show due to shoot in a few weeks. They have made sandcastles and painted them, they looked incredibly real and also a huge over sized candy cart, with ice creams and sweeties. I helped paint and fat sea captain figure, his arms around a mermaid for the set, which was fun, although I managed to get paint all over myself. This is a wonderful job, all the guys there were university graduates with degrees in fine arts and design and paintings in the back they were working on in their lunch hours. They all loved their jobs, I can't blame them. they get paid, all be it not a huge amount, to mess around with paints and build crazy set pieces they design themselves and everybody wants to be them. Especially me!





















The afternoon was spent with the lovely Stacey, part of the audience team, her role this week of runner for the gallery and maintainer of Noel's dressing room. I spent the time following her around, making coffee for the gallery and straightening up Noel's spotless dressing room. She was also in charge of ordering the train tickets for the contestants for the weekend, so after she has ordered them online we went to the station to pick them up, all 25 of them from the ticketing machine. I also helped her make up boxes of supplies for the audition weeks coming up. Groups of researchers go to several destinations around the country auditioning contestants for the show and they have boxes of supplies that travel with them. It was a nice way to end the week, a visit to almost every department, which gave me a chance to thank everyone and say goodbye.
I was sad to leave them all, cameramen, researchers, editors, runners, producers, and everything in between. I would especially miss the free lunch, which was always delicious. Annalise was wonderful and very encouraging, although I think I may have encouraged her to give up her job and go and sail around the world, but that's another story.
I did a complete turn around, having sworn I would never work in TV least of all of a rubbish game show that I couldn't even sit through. I found myself a little tearful at leaving it. Perhaps I should make my own rubbish game show, surround myself with lovely funny and extremely competent people and be happy!

Link:http://www.dealornodeal.co.uk
link;http://www.endemoluk.com/?q=taxonomy/term/1&tid=1

1 comment:

Kim Brooke said...

2 x photos, 2 x links C&P same, desc.